Tuesday, November 11, 2014
Did You Know?
Here's some things that I've learned along the way that aren't always out there for us to see. You don't see this stuff on television commercials. You don't normally read about it in books. Travel agents don't normally mention them. It's just some of those things that you learn as you go, and I thought I would impart some of it on all of you.
1. In Berlin, Germany you can take a guided bicycle tour of the remnants of the Wall. It's been 25 years since the wall fell, but the folks of the amazing city of Berlin will never forget it. Today there are many ways to see parts of the wall. They are all over the world, but the bicycle tour is something different.
2. In Puerto Rico there are a couple of spots where the wildlife is luminescent. The sea life here glows in the dark, making several bays into romantic nighttime paradises. Mosquito Bay is one of the most popular places to see this strange but beautiful phenomenon.
3. You can still see plays performed in outdoor theaters built by the Romans and Greeks in Sicily. The plays are traditional, and the acoustics are fabulous at most locations, such as this one in Taormina.
4. The Enchanted Grotto is a romantic seaside restaurant in a cave along the coast in the Puglia area of Italy. This is not a snack bar. This is a five star restaurant that even has entertainment sometimes. It will impress any lady. Grotto Palazzese is a great place to truly impress a date.
5. Guoliang Tunnel is a short but unique piece of road in Changsha, China. It was designed to resolve the problem of connecting a tiny village of 350 people to the outside world. It was dug out by hand, and is today one of the most unique driving experiences you'll ever have.
6. The Ice Palace at the Top of Europe on Jungfraujoch in the Alps in Switzerland. This glacier has been around a long time, and the train up to Jungfraujoch is one of the most interesting train rides around, but in 1934 someone thought that it needed a little something else, so the tunnels that are now known as the Ice Palace were dug by hand. It's a chilling but entertaining little walk to take while you're up on the Top of Europe.
7. The best way to see the fairy chimneys that are the chief attraction in Cappadocia, Turkey is by hot air balloon. This area is one of the busiest hot air balloon meccas on Earth. The air currents lend all the help needed for a truly amazing journey. There are plenty available so that you can get a great view of a truly unusual place.
8. It's the latest craze to take a cruise or have a birthday party on a pirate ship. This isn't just for kids, they have specifically adult parties too. These crazy tours are all over, from the Caribbean Islands to Florida, to Washington DC and the latest one that popped up in Hawaii. Hawaii Pirate Ship Adventures is right out of Honolulu, and it's a great way to have a great evening at sea.
9. People love to stay at dude ranches. We have them all over. But, did you know that it's one of the most popular things to do in Argentina as well? There are several different types of programs in the Pampas of Argentina from places where you spend a couple of months at ranches that are more akin to what we find here in America with spas and riding lessons. The Estancia los Potreros is a very popular ranch to spend some time at and the views are amazing.
10. When you think of Victoria Falls on the border of Zambia and Zimbabwe you don't normally think of something like bungee jumping, but there is a company there that specializes in just that. Victoria Falls Bungee is the place to go if you would like to get a real up close and personal look at the gorge below the falls. It's a once in a lifetime experience.
So, this is just a few of the amazing and unusual things that there are to do out there. I hope that you will continue to join me in finding some of the less celebrated but no less amazing things to do out there in the world. I enjoy learning about all kinds of new places and new activities. There's so much to do out there and so much to see that if we don't all get moving, we'll miss it. With all the beauty in the world and all the amazing things to do, wouldn't it be a shame if our lives passed up by and we missed it? Don't let that happen to you. Check out all the sites. Check out this blog. Check out whatever you have to check out to find something really amazing. Enjoy!