Translate

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Milestones Are Upon Me Again



Let me be the first to say that I never know what I'm going to see or where I'm going to see it.  I started the blog four years ago with the idea that I would write once a week for one year.  I figured that I would run out of things to write about and that it would be a good exercise for me to keep me writing.  I had no idea how many things I would find to write about.  It's been a never ending process.



One thing that I would like to say is thank you to the reader that sent me the material on Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland.  That led me to a trip that I still fondly dream about.  It was one of the best trips of my life, and my family would agree.  I intended to stop writing this blog a couple of months before taking that trip, and it made me keep writing.  I'm glad it did.  I'm glad I found out about this place.  I'm glad I could share this place with my readers.



Travel is the one thing that will broaden the mind like no other, and that's why I love it so much.  Have you ever known that person that sits around and says that they won't go to all these places because of the politics?  I say travel to one of those countries, and realize that the people have no more to do with their politics than we do with ours.



I remember that lovely day back in 1991 when I sat atop the Berlin Wall.  I learned a lot on that trip too.  I went to church with Pope John Paul II.  I ended up in Vilnius, Lithuania during an uprising, and I spent a lot of time in Poland that trip.  What I learned in that one trip could not be matched in any other way.  I still think about it, and I still love that trip.



I remember the wonders of Iceland when I went hiking up there.  I spent a lot of time in the wilderness of that amazing country.  I learned a lot about glaciers and volcanoes and sheep.  It's the one country that I swear I would move to if my family would go with me.  I remember when I went, my friends and family wondered what on Earth I was thinking.  I told them all that they would have to go to understand.  It's one of the rare places that I've ever visited that I have a hard time explaining in words.



I remember the Havasupai Indian Reservation down in the Grand Canyon.  It was a real village with restaurant, store, clinic, school, museum, hotel, campground and around 600 people.  My whole life I had no idea that there was a town in the Grand Canyon.  They had beautiful waterfalls as well.  It was one of the longest single hikes I ever went on, but it was well worth it.



There was the time that I discovered that you can get prescriptions and eyeglasses really cheap in Mexico.  My son loved his $85 glasses.  It was an adventure for both of us, and I would gladly go there to get my meds all the time if I lived closer.  My parents have saved thousands of dollars over the years.  I got a lot of responses on that one, and I'm so glad that I could  help people find ways to afford their medications.





But, no matter what I'm sharing, you can rest assured; I had a good time.  Whether it's antique planes, Christmas lights at the local amusement park or one of my endless trips to New York City, I love to travel.  And I love to share my personal travels and my travel ideas with all of you.  I hope that you continue to follow me on my personal journey to learn more about the weird, fantastic, amazing, historic, and wild places around the world.




Sometimes when you hit the road with normal things in mind, you stumble on the most amazing things ever.  It's all about the journey and the things you find along the way.  Travel is an adventure, and just because you've seen a lot certainly doesn't mean you've seen it all.  I never would have thought that I would go to Hell.  I also didn't think that a few months later it would be for sale.  It's all part of the Adventure that spawned Adventures for Anyone.  I hope you've enjoyed the last four years.  I have, and I now am hoping to be able to do this for four more years.  As Mark Twain once said, "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness."  I hope you continue to follow me and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear thoughts about the places in this blog. Feel free to converse on what you read. Check out my other locations and enjoy the ride.