Translate

Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Let's Make it a Quest!



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Today, I want to discuss the reason to travel. For me, it's easy. There's a whole world out there that I want to see. For many folks, however, it's not that broad or simple.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
In my life, there have been some things that we'll call quests. One of them, as any of you who know me can guess, is Russia. I've been there a couple of times, and would love to spend significant time there. It fascinates me. I can't get enough of the history, the architecture, the mystique. I'm mystified every day about the country.



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
However, if finances aren't the problem, then we're arguing with them as a country like a bunch of petulant children. I mean the government of course. So, I don't get to use that as my quest most of the time. So, since you all know I like to travel with purpose, I tend to find other quests.



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I was born in the Midwest. It was flat. I moved to New England and discovered one of my lifelong passions. Waterfalls. I love the outdoors, I love to hike, and New England and much of the world has provided me with reasons to travel. I love to go and take a map, a book about the area, a waterfall guide, a trail guide, and whatever else to go and hike to waterfalls. I love to find the out of the way ones that almost no one knows about. It's a quest. That's what it's there for.



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
My passion for waterfall hunting has led me all over the country and to other countries as well. I once went to Iceland, primarily to look at the waterfalls. I hiked down into the Grand Canyon and saw waterfalls. Wherever I go, I tend to find waterfalls. This is a way of travel that makes sure things never get old. There's always purpose. It's great, particularly if you have trouble justifying your travel.



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
But, let's not limit your quest to waterfalls. That's my thing. There are many ideas out there. Lighthouses are a popular quest. Amusement parks, roller coasters, giant ferris wheels, sports stadiums, peaks, racetracks, tall buildings, and whatever. I know people who go out road tripping with their Atlas Obscura, looking for odd roadside attractions. I know people who want to visit all the Hard Rock Cafes or some other international chain of place. Some people want to visit every state, or every country. Some people want to ride every train or every ferry or every kind of plane. It doesn't matter what your quest is, it's just great to have something tangible when designing a trip.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
In some cases, the trip is the goal. Some people want to hike the entire Appalachian Trail. Some people want to drive across the country. Some people want to sail around the world. Whatever it is, a goal is good.



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
You can visit caves, castles, battlefields, beaches, cities, or whatever. Whether it's a hunt, an activity to try in several locations, or just a list of things you'd like to see; it's a great way to travel.



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
My life has been an adventure. But, as I've said many times, I'm no tourist. I don't do many of the standard tourist things. I like to do my own thing and be a traveler. Having a quest, or an interest, just makes that easier and infinitely interesting. I try not to overschedule activities for a trip. I like to take time to learn about the location and meet locals along the way. It makes for a memorable trip and it's educational. I've enjoyed my mode of travel and continue to do so.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The internet is your best friend when it comes to making a list of quest items to visit and experience. There are many websites out there that can help you find the type of places you want to visit. If you want to go on guided motorcycle tours around the world, there's a site for that. If you want to scuba dive all the best reefs in the world, there's a site for that. Anything you want to do as a series of discoveries, there's a site. Picking a topic, whether it's sailing on Schooners or walking on glaciers, there's a site that can help you explore your passions.



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
So, if there's something you're passionate about that goes on around your area, around the country, or around the world; look into it. We just spent a year and a half at home. It's time to catch up. It's time to get out and see and do the things that we are passionate about. It's time to take that leap and see the things that we've always wanted to see. It's time to enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear thoughts about the places in this blog. Feel free to converse on what you read. Check out my other locations and enjoy the ride.