Translate

Friday, June 14, 2024

Just Another Thing to Love About Hartford! Elizabeth Park!




 



This is a bonus post about other things I'm doing in Hartford, CT and the immediate vicinity, including West Hartford.  This one has a story.


A couple of years ago, I took an afternoon cruise out of New London, CT to look at several lighthouses in and around Long Island Sound.  That day, I decided to do something in the morning on my way to the cruise.  My decision was to stop by Elizabeth Park on the border of Hartford and West Hartford to look at what was reportedly beautiful rose gardens.


This is where it gets funky.  I used Google to find the park.  I specifically said the rose gardens at the park and Google took me to Prospect Street via Route 44.  There were a few parking spaces in a pull off looking area along the street, which was very busy.  I decided that it wasn't worth having an accident with my car and went on my way.  Simple.  It was an issue.  I didn't know much about the park.  I went and saw lighthouses and had a great day.  I never thought about it again.




I took the 927 bus to Hartford recently, as I posted about.  On the way, the bus took Asylum Avenue through West Hartford as its route into the city center, and wouldn't you know; it went right by the main entrance to what turned out to be an amazing, enormous park with many things to see and do.  It wasn't just rose gardens.


The drive by astonished me.  I couldn't believe I never investigated the park further back when I had my first encounter with it.  So, a few days later, I asked my husband to investigate the park with me.  What a fabulous place.  It's just a city park.  There are no entrance fees.  There are no parking fees.  Just open spaces, beautiful gardens, a great pond.  It has an event venue, a restaurant, a snack bar outside and a visitor center with gift shop.  It has ball fields, tennis courts, and so much more.  









I finally visited the rose garden I'd heard so much about.  I wasn't disappointed.  It's large enough that there were two weddings taking photographs in the garden and it still didn't seem crowded even with other patrons as well.  


The park welcomes horticulturists to donate hybrids they breed, making a large pool of different types of roses.  Each hybrid gets its own name plate and the creator gets their credit.  It is a great system and the gardens never seem to end.  Neither do the surprises.  Almost every inch of the garden; even the gazebo in its center, is covered with plant life.  It is absolutely stunning, and a must see this time of year.









The rose gardens aren't the only attraction in Elizabeth Park.  There's a lot to see.  We saw a plethora of water fowl, bunnies, and tons of squirrels of all colors and kinds.  The pond with stone bridges and a fountain was gorgeous as well as another, larger gazebo without the plant life and many greenhouses where plants begins life.  We didn't eat inside at the restaurant, but we did stop outside at the snack bar by the pond to grab a snack.  Such a relaxing and fun day.








There were more than just roses.  There was a rock garden.  There were exotic trees.  Most of them were marked so you could learn where they came from and what they were.  It was incredible.


After exploring quite a bit of the park, we stopped by the information center/ gift shop before we left.  They had books about they area and all the roses in the park.  It wasn't just t-shirts in there.  


All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Elizabeth Park.  I was quite surprised it was just a city park.  Hartford and the immediate area continues to enthrall me with its surprises.  Don't mark this one off your list of possibilities.  The city has a lot to offer.


So, when you wonder where you could go that you haven't already been in the Northeast, don't forget Hartford, Connecticut, and certainly don't forget about Elizabeth Park on the border of Hartford and West Hartford and the rose gardens. Enjoy!


https://elizabethparkct.org/


https://www.hartfordct.gov/Government/Departments/Public-Works/Parks-Directory/Elizabeth


https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33970-d106103-Reviews-Elizabeth_Park-West_Hartford_Connecticut.html


https://hartford.com/elizabeth-park/


https://www.instagram.com/elizabethpark_hartfordct/?hl=en


https://pondhousecafe.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear thoughts about the places in this blog. Feel free to converse on what you read. Check out my other locations and enjoy the ride.