I went to Greenville, Maine several years ago looking for a moose sighting. I got that, but I also found one of the strangest things I ever saw. A B-52 Bomber crashed there, and it had become a tourist attraction. Such was the beginning of some pretty strange things that I've seen on trips. Check it out! I found five of them! I've been to three!
1. The B-52 Bomber crash of 1963, Elephant Mountain, Maine. It happened. It was January and there was no road up to that area at that time. Today, it's just a dirt road, not much more than a path through the trees. When I first visited this area many years ago, I was driving down Lily Bay Road and started to see the yellow signs with the plane on them and B-52. They didn't say site back in the day. I love to explore and followed the signs thinking that they could only be talking about the giant plane.
It's still there, or what's left. This was at the height of the cold war and there were secret things on the plane, so after the initial rescue, the government came and removed what they had to and left the rest there. It's still an interesting site when you can get to it. The intrusive new timber company has all but shut off the road. How rude. And don't think about taking a souvenir plane piece away either. That's a crime.
https://visitmaine.com/articles/b52-crash-site/
https://www.mainetrailfinder.com/trails/trail/b-52-crash-site-trail
https://themainehighlands.com/b-52-crash-site/
https://lodgeatmooseheadlake.com/blog/2021/05/b-52-crash-site-elephant-mountain/
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/b52-crash-site
2. The B-25 Bomber crash of 1948 at Round Top Mountain, Arkansas. This plane was unarmed, unlike the Maine incident, but also, all five crew members died. They were on a routine flight from Wright Patterson AFB to Little Rock in inclement weather, including fog and they just crashed. Honestly, I think the military should be better at cleaning up their messes, but that's just me.
This one is a hike. It's on the Round Top Mountain Trail and it will take you a while to walk it. It's roughly 3.5 miles round trip to see this one, but on the other hand, there's nice views from the top of the mountain. It's located at Round Top Mountain, which is close to Fayetteville in the Boston Mountains of the Northwest part of the state.
https://encyclopediaofarkansas.net/entries/b25-bomber-crash-of-1948-18524/
https://www.arkansasheritage.com/arkansas-register/round-top-mountain-crash-site
https://www.buffaloriver.com/hiking/roundtop-mountain/
https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/arkansas/ar-plane-wreck-hike
3. The very strange incident in Roswell, New Mexico, 1947. This is the king of them all. I love Roswell. To this day the legend continues that on the night of July 7th, 1947 a UFO carrying aliens crashed on a ranch outside Roswell. The government investigated and declared that it was a weather balloon. That is what was said.
Out of this incident has come such folklore and legend that I don't think anyone could have imagined. The entire town is famous and embraces the legend of the crash. There's a UFO Museum and Research Center in the middle of town. Everything is about the aliens in Roswell right down to the one that holds up a giant donut at the Dunkin Donuts. I've never visited anyplace quite like Roswell, and I'm sure there's only one. If you're ever anywhere near there, you need to visit Roswell, NM.
https://seeroswell.com/the-1947-roswell-incident/
https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/space-science/roswell-ufo-incident
https://www.history.com/articles/roswell
https://www.roswellufomuseum.com/






























No comments:
Post a Comment
I love to hear thoughts about the places in this blog. Feel free to converse on what you read. Check out my other locations and enjoy the ride.