Translate

Thursday, July 11, 2024

I Finally Did It! The New York Botanical Gardens!


 





I've been doing some traveling by train this summer, and there's somewhere I've always wanted to go.  The New York Botanical Gardens are 250 acres of natural bliss in the north section of one of the biggest cities in the country.  This wonderful place has entrances devoted to both subway and train stops, as well as parking and general entrance for those who arrive by vehicle.  


I left from my usual train station at Waterbury, CT on Metro North Railroad.  I transferred at Bridgeport, CT for the Grand Central Metro North train bound for the city.  This is where it gets a little tricky.  There are several train lines sprouting out of New York City.  I had to transfer from one general line to another.  There are two ways this can be done.  I could take that Bridgeport train, known as the New Haven Line, into Grand Central and then catch what is known as a White Plains line back to the Botanical Garden stop.  That seemed like overkill.  I chose to switch trains again at Stamford, CT, to board a local train to Grand Central rather than the express trains from New Haven and Bridgeport.  This way, I could exit the train at the Fordham stop in New York, transfer to a White Plains at that station and go one stop north to the Botanical Garden stop.  That saves over an hour in ridiculous train hopping and costs less.


So, that's what I did.  Four trains, but not a lot of money.  Less time than it would have taken to drive at just about 2 hours and 15 minutes.  Not to mention, parking for the Botanical Garden if you drive is around $22 for the day on average.  Add the price of gas and lack of frustration, and once again; take the train.


When you exit from the train at the Botanical Garden stop, you walk out of the station and there's a sign pointing you right to the gate of the Botanical Garden which is right across the street.  You can't miss it.  The entrance is designed for people riding the train to visit.  It's probably the most convenient attraction I've ever visited on the train.  Admission is $35 for adults for the day with other pricing for different groups.  That price is fixed, so it doesn't matter how you arrive.



 






During my visit and for the next few months, there's an Alice in Wonderland vibe about the gardens.  The theme comes from the classic Lewis Carroll novel and the Victorian Era in a broader spectrum.  The Victorians were fascinated with nature and a lot of the things that they became known for in history are nature based.  Charles Darwin came from Victorian times.  Alice in Wonderland was really no exception.  There are many references to the novel around the gardens and a full display in the Mertz Library Building.  

The Mertz Library is also home to thousands of books on plants, horticulture and so much more.  It's a great place to study and the Botanical Garden has plenty of cause to study.  They have numerous education programs for children and adults from children's programs to a School of Horticulture.  The garden has been in existence since the late 1800's and offers so much more than just plants on display.

















In addition to the Library, there are many other buildings in the park.  Some are accessible and some not.  The Nolen Greenhouses in the back are normally not accessible and are a work facility.  The Goldman Stone Mill is only for events, so if you want to see it; plan something there.  


All of the facilities at the Levy Visitor Center are open to the public.  There's food options and the gift shop there.  The Haupt Conservatory is open to the public as well.  I must confess, after all the years of waiting to visit the Conservatory, I got so wrapped up in everything else that I didn't have time to visit it.  I guess I'll have to go back another time.  I won't mind though.  It's  a great place to visit, and I'll happily go back so that I don't miss the Conservatory.














One of my favorite spots was the Native Plant Garden.  There were so many beautiful views in the garden.  All of the plants are native to the northeast and a lot of them were in bloom.  The pond and rock garden were gorgeous and I spent way more time than I thought I would there.  I was sad that the Rhododendron Trail wasn't blooming, but to be fair, I didn't know it was there when they were blooming.  I'm already planning my next visit.












Another of my favorite parts was the Rockefeller Rose Garden.  It isn't blooming at this time; well it is a little, but it's mostly done for the season.  Once again, there will be other visits.


There're several areas that are just wonderful to spend time in.  There's a wetlands, a conifer garden, a forest, a rock garden and so much more.   I simply ran out of time to see the one thing that made me want to visit in the first place.


So much to see, so little time.  I could have spent hours longer, but the weather was really hot and I could only spend so much time outside.








Then there's the tram.  They have a tram that circles around the center portion of the park, and allows you to hop on and off as you gravitate outwards from the circle to explore other sections of the park.  It does circle through the conifer garden, and stops at the Edible Academy where you can try juices and other edible products made from the plants that grow in the gardens.  I tried a Hibiscus drink that was delicious.














There's so much to see.  There was a wetlands trail that was just lovely and came with a boardwalk and viewing stations so you could take a good look.  I'm kind of used to trails like this in Connecticut, but in New York City, it's probably a treat.


Then there was the thing that truly surprised me.  I grew up with Crabapple trees.  This was something that was a nuisance plant when I was growing up, and for anyone who ever tried to eat a Crabapple, you know what I'm talking about and why they were a nuisance.  At the Botanical Garden, they have a Crabapple Grove and I'd never seen that before.  It was beautiful however, and it shares it's space with Daffodil Hill.  Daffodils aren't in season either, but I will be back.




There are a lot of things going on at The New York Botanical Garden.  I need another visit just to catch up.  It was well worth the money.  It was more than worth the time.  On Wednesday's in season they even have a farmer's market.  There's a lot.


I recommend that everyone on Earth takes time to visit.  I also recommend that you take enough time to do it justice.  I loved the day I spent there and intend to visit again; maybe more then one more visit even.  If you love beauty, a relaxing way to spend a day, and nature; it's the best spot around.


So, park those cars.  Take those trains.  Spend a day outdoors in one of the largest cities in the country and enjoy!


https://www.nybg.org/


https://nybgevents.com/


https://www.instagram.com/nybg/?hl=en


https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g47369-d103513-Reviews-New_York_Botanical_Garden-Bronx_New_York.html


https://www.nyctourism.com/attractions-tours/new-york-botanical-garden/


https://moovitapp.com/index/en/public_transit-Bronx_Botanical_Garden-NYCNJ-site_30033993-121


https://www.newyorkbyrail.com/local-guide/new-york-botanical-garden/


https://new.mta.info/stations/botanical-garden


https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Manhattan/New-York-Botanical-Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear thoughts about the places in this blog. Feel free to converse on what you read. Check out my other locations and enjoy the ride.