Translate

Thursday, July 18, 2024

Public Transportation and a Day Trip to Port Jeff!


 


I've spent a lot of time this summer running around the region on public transportation, and this week was a real adventure.  I will start by saying that I once again, for $3 one way took the Metro North Train from Waterbury to Bridgeport Connecticut.  However, this week there were no other trains.  Sound weird?  It kinda was.


Once I reached Bridgeport, I exited the train and left the station.  In Bridgeport, the train station sits directly between the bus station and the walkway to the Bridgeport/Port Jefferson Ferry.  I opted to take the ferry that day, because it was hot, and riding on top of the ferry across Long Island Sound is a great way to get out on a hot day with a great breeze, a great view, and normally, great company.


From the train station, you walk under the tracks, down the harbor walk (which is still under construction, but navigable) and to the ferry terminal.  A ticket for a round trip ride with no vehicle will cost $39 for adults with different fares for different groups.  It's a bit pricey, but it's a great ride for those of you who, like me, refuse to spend a fortune on a boat.










The ferry is huge, and holds many vehicles on two different levels of the beast's belly.  There's a passenger area above that with a snack bar, tables and seating, bathrooms and even a lounge.  On the top level is outdoor seating for people like me who come for the ride and love the view.


The harbor in Bridgeport is industrial.  If it's business, it comes in and leaves from here.  The view is still interesting and the ride is still nice.  Before you know it, you've left the harbor and are on Long Island Sound with views of open water.  There are a couple of lighthouses along the way and there are boats all over the sound, especially in the summer.


The ferry is a great boat ride and takes about an hour and fifteen minutes each way between Bridgeport and Port Jefferson, New York.  There are other ferries across Long Island Sound.  There are both a regular and high speed ferry that go from New London, CT to Orient Point, Long Island, New York.  The ride is longer on the traditional ferry and the fees are larger for both.  Also, there is no town precisely at the terminal, so if you don't drive, you'll have to take a bus to the nearest town.















Once I arrived in Port Jefferson, I took to walking.  Port Jefferson is a village, and the section around the port is one of the most walkable neighborhoods on Earth.  There's something for every tourist in the village.  On a hot day, visiting this village can be a real pleasure.  There are a lot of air conditioned places to visit to break up your time in the heat.  That's why I go there on hot days.


I stopped at what might be the biggest sweet shop I've ever been to.  They have all kinds of sweets.  I got a little ice cream, because it was hot and gave me a great excuse.  This place also has ice cream for your dog, made special to not upset Rover's belly.  They have cakes and pastries, drinks, candy cookies and on and on.  If it's sweet; you'll find it there.


After, I walked past Danford's.  Danford's is the marina with a great old fashioned resort attached.  If you need a place to park your super yacht, they can help you.  If you'd like to sleep in an old fashioned traditional room or suite they can do that for you too.  I'm not sure how many buildings they have in the neighborhood, but they are all gorgeous.  They also have event facilities, restaurants and other amenities.  It's not my style and not my budget, but it is very nice.


Past Danford's immense complex is a children's museum, Centennial Park, the yacht club, the city pier, and the beach.  On your way, you'll encounter the Village Center.  This is always my first air conditioning stop.  It's three floors high, has beautiful views of the shore around and there's normally something going on.  This time it was a local artist exhibit.  The works were lovely and I enjoyed hanging out in the comfy chairs and watching the view after I perused the paintings.  There were children's activities going on on the first floor as well as outside in designated areas.


Once I left the Village Center, I walked along the shore and out onto the city pier.  The views are excellent and they can't be beat.  I walked to the beach as well.  You can rent kayaks and other water sport items at the beach for a reasonable price.  


The beach in Port Jefferson is interesting.  It goes for two to three miles from the town out along the harbor onto a sand bar area that's part of the harbor entrance and beyond.  It's a narrow beach that follows the shore and appears to be partially privately owned, but I assure you, as long as you don't use people's stairs and docks, you can walk all you want.  It's a beautiful stretch of sand with great views.










After leaving the beach and that area, I took a side street instead of the main street which I normally walk.  The upper neighborhood was full of what I would call hipster shops.  There were art shops, crystals, thrift stores, boutiques and there was this great place called Tiger Lily. 


Tiger Lily appeared as an old fashioned hang out style coffee shop, but it was so much more.  You could get positively anything to drink, most things you could dream of to eat, and a great place to hang out and work remotely.  Most people who were hanging out were working remotely on laptops.  It was a great laid back atmosphere with both indoor and outdoor seating.  I got a great smoothie and enjoyed hanging out for a bit myself.  Can't miss it.  It's awesome.
















After leaving the upper neighborhood, I returned to the main drag.  Remember, this village is set up for visitors.  I made the rounds of the shops, stopped in at the local brewery, walked the alleyways, and stopped in for a snack at Tommy's Place, my favorite pub in town.  It's a charming place to spend your time.  Be sure you come prepared to walk.  If you don't, you'll miss out.  There's also a tiny charming historic park and waterway just off of downtown and there is an official visitor's center by the ferry terminal.  


There isn't anything in particular to see or do in Port Jeff.  It's just a great place to hang out and spend some time.  It's a great way to get away from it all.  I will make note that in December, the whole village goes Victorian during their Charles Dickens Festival.  We went last winter, and I had a lot of fun.  








By late afternoon, it was time to board the ferry again and make my way back home.  It was a great hangout with a great ride on the boat.  It was just what I needed for a great day trip.  Another hour and fifteen minutes and we were back in Bridgeport.


On the ride back, there were two tour buses in the ferry and they belonged to a boys camp from New York City.  The kids ranged from 8 to around 12 and they joined those of us on the top of the ferry for the ride.  They were curious about everything, and it was a pleasure to answer all their questions.  They were excited, polite, and it made for one of the best ferry crossings I think I've ever had.  


Once back in Bridgeport, I made my way back to the train station to catch the little Waterbury train that could back to Waterbury.  Well, apparently it couldn't because there was a Peter Pan Bus waiting to take us to Waterbury and all the other train stops along that route.






The ride from Bridgeport to Waterbury was different than normal, but the bus was posh and comfortable, the price was the same as the train, and the driver was a delight.  The trip took about the same amount of time, and I was home earlier than I expected to be.


So there you have it.  Train, ferry and bus; all in one day.  It was an adventure and a trip I'd taken many times, but never in that way.  I advocate public transportation.  It's inexpensive, relaxing and even when it breaks down; they find a way to get you where you're going.  So, take the train, take the ferry and take the bus.  It's a great way to travel.  You can park that car and enjoy!


https://portjeff.com/


https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g48430-Port_Jefferson_Long_Island_New_York-Vacations.html


https://portjeff.com/visitor/


https://www.88844ferry.com/


https://www.facebook.com/portjeffny/


https://portjeffchamber.com/


https://www.longisland.com/guide-to-port-jefferson.html


https://www.danfords.com/


https://www.tigerlilycafe.com/


https://portjeff.com/village-center-2/


https://tommysplace.com/


https://www.portjeffbrewing.com/


https://portjeffersonfrigate.com/


https://new.mta.info/agency/metro-north-railroad

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear thoughts about the places in this blog. Feel free to converse on what you read. Check out my other locations and enjoy the ride.