Translate

Thursday, August 27, 2026

This Week's Fast Five is Less Fun & More Things You Should Be Aware Of!

 When you are well traveled, you realize that there are things going on in the world that as an American in the United States, you may not hear about.  What the media sometimes fails to understand is that as a global society, what goes on in the far reaches of the world may impact our lives right here.  So, today I bring you a few things that hopefully you haven't missed, but unfortunately in the United States you may have.





























1.    What are the Kuril Islands?  If you were to look at the pictures I've placed here, you'd probably liken them to the Faroe Islands or something like that and think that it couldn't possibly impact your life.  Surprise!  The Kuril Islands are an archipelago in the Pacific/ Sea of Okhotsk between Russia and Japan.  Did that get your attention?  It should.




There was never a formally accepted peace treaty between these two countries after WWII, because out of this chain of islands, Russia and Japan couldn't agree on who owned four of them.  There's been tension there ever since.  Tension, Japan, Russia.  Think about that.




Fortunately, it was an ignored issue for decades, but recently, Russia decided to up the ante so to speak.  Russia is having troubles in its war with Ukraine.  There's also a lot going on there that we don't hear about.  As Americans, we don't dare get directly involved in that or there will be a large war.  However, a certain Russian President suddenly decided to visit these disputed islands for the first time ever and it's set off a firestorm of public rhetoric.  Where is that going?  No one knows for sure, but the flame has been ignited.



As a public supporter of both Taiwan and Ukraine, Japan now kind of sits in the hot seat between China and Russia.  You should be aware of that.



https://www.youtube.com/@PulsePointReport  



https://history.state.gov/historicaldocuments/frus1949v07p2/d167   



https://www.theguardian.com/world/2026/aug/18/kuril-islands-putin-takaichi-dispute-japan-russia-northern-territories   



https://www.aa.com.tr/en/eurasia/explainer-putin-s-1st-kuril-islands-visit-what-is-the-territorial-dispute-between-japan-russia/4026281   



https://www.mzunguexpeditions.com/kuril_islands_2025_en  





























2.    What's up with Indonesian Ferries?  That might seem like an odd question, however there have been multiple incidents with these ferries recently.  I know of at least three incidents with the Bali/Indonesia ferries.  Weather capsized one, Weather sank another and fire caused one to have everyone abandon ship.  Why do I bring this up?



Those ferries run through 19 different operators and cover 36 routes.  They are a normal way to get around and if you travel on a budget like I do, you might use them to get around if you happen to be traveling in the area.  Everyone loves to go to Bali and it's one of the best ways to go if you're in Indonesia.



Is there a problem?  For reasons passing my understanding, boats catch fire and no one can put them out.  They are on water.  I don't get it.  It happens.  Weather around Indonesia during this season can be extremely unpredictable due to monsoon season and other conditions.  Does this mean that the ferry operators are lax or not to be trusted?  Not as far as I can see.  Sometimes things just happen.  I remember times over the years that planes seemed to crash right and left, and it wasn't anything in a pattern or from neglect, so that leads me to think that maybe stuff just happens.  However, I thought that you all should know just in case it might affect a trip you're planning.




https://www.npr.org/2026/08/03/g-s1-136858/blaze-indonesian-passenger-ferry   



https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/passengers-rescued-as-second-ferry-in-days-catches-fire-in-indonesia/article71335131.ece   



https://voi.id/en/economy/590595   



https://openferry.com/destinations/indonesia?  



https://www.netferry.com/ferries/from/indonesia/indonesia   





























3.    Have you heard about the AI Heaven that was created in China and went viral online?  This was amazing.  Why do I mention it?  for one reason; not all news should be bad.  For another, I think that the combination of the person who created it and the fact that it went viral might give us a little insight into how the Chinese might view heaven.



It was created by what's called an Optical Shop by a Chen Aijun, and it is beautiful.  This 30 second snippet lets us see his view of heaven.  Over 5 million views, people.  Was it Chinese people or all around the world?  I don't know the ratio, just the ball park total.  I saw it.  It was serene and gorgeous, but I probably would have liked more waterfalls.  That's just me.



What does this mean to anyone?  It's just a potential view into the psyche of Chinese people.  They're reported as Communist, which means no religion.  However, we all know that there are various temples all over the country.  Just something to ponder and a beautiful video to watch.  It also may just be a reminder that people are people no matter where they live.




https://www.facebook.com/reel/1785622403215644  



https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202608/1368856.shtml   



https://inelda.org/the-chinese-approach-to-death-and-dying/   



https://orcasia.org/the-mandate-of-heaven-then-and-now   



https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/czepw096wy4o   





























4.    Who are the Houthis?  Excellent question.  What do you know about Yemen?  I didn't even know that their capital is Sanaa.  However, this one is good to know.  The Houthis appeared in the 1990's.  That's a long time ago, right?  They control parts of Yemen, including that capital and carry a lot of weight in the region.  If you've ever been told not to go to Yemen, this pseudo civil war is probably why.  It reminds me of the Taliban and Afghanistan.



This group is militant and does physical, military style, guerrilla attacks on certain entities.  The latest one this year is against the Saudi Oil Trade.  They've been disrupting the oil channels in the Bab el-Mandeb Strait, a narrow waterway connecting the continents of Europe and Asia.  Military action, blockades and so on.



What does this mean to people from the United States?  If you've been watching, oil has been an issue lately.  Iran, Venezuela, Russia and on and on.  Throw Saudi Arabia into the mix and there's just more trouble.  I know what people say.  They say that's why we need electric cars.  Have you ever looked at all the everyday items we use that are oil products?  This affects all of us.  Oh yeah, they're on Iran's side too.  You need to be informed.



https://www.nytimes.com/2026/08/27/world/middleeast/saudi-arabia-yemen-houthis-war.html   



https://www.economist.com/middle-east-and-africa/2026/08/25/how-the-houthis-have-become-the-most-fearsome-of-irans-allies  



https://mei.edu/backgrounder/the-houthis/  



https://www.cfr.org/global-conflict-tracker/conflict/war-yemen   



https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChasDMjXYn_oyoKlDSSB39w   





























5.    What is the Mecca Joint Defense Agreement?  From what I can tell, this is what happens when some of those Middle Eastern countries get sick and tired of it all.  This is one we all need to know about.  These are three strategically placed countries and Pakistan is even a nuclear power.  



What's happening is that the United States is becoming less reliable as the world's peacekeeper (sorry, it's just true), so these three decided to join forces in a NATO style pact.  I just mentioned the troubles the the Saudis are having with the Houthis.  Pakistan has always had troubles with India.  Turkey borders Syria, Iraq, and particularly Iran with all the latest shenanigans there.  Together, they will become a force.  Would I attack any of them?  Not now, much less after the Mecca Agreement.  Attack one, responds all.



This is new.  It doesn't mean that the United States will be in an animous relationship with any of these countries.  Historically, we get along with them pretty well as Middle Eastern relations go.  However, you should be aware of this.  What goes on in the Middle East often comes home to America.  We are at war in Iran right now.  You should know.



https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2026/8/17/trump-hails-mecca-pact-can-it-replace-the-regions-us-security-umbrella   



https://www.middleeasteye.net/big-story/mecca-agreement-why-saudi-arabia-turkey-and-pakistan-teamed-historical-moment  



https://freedomhouse.org/country/saudi-arabia   



https://travel.state.gov/en/international-travel/travel-advisories/turkey.html   



https://pakconsulatela.org/about-pakistan/   




I know this isn't my normal blog, but in my defense; there are things we should know.  Everything here, with the possible exception of the Chines AI Heaven, can directly affect our lives here in the United States.  War affects us.  Oil disruption affects us.  Global relations affect us.  Even ferry transportation can affect us.  Just because Russia isn't bugging us, doesn't mean that what goes on with them and Japan is unimportant.  It's better to be informed than surprised.  This is also why I advocate travel as education; which is why you might want to know about the ferries.  If you've never gone out and looked at the world; you may not be aware of what no one will publicly tell you.  It's important.



If you'd like to see something more light hearted and what I'm up to right now; check out my YouTube Channel; Adventures for Anyone with Terri Dixon.  That's Me!


https://www.youtube.com/@adventuresforanyone2026  



Thanks to so many of you for reading my little blog!  See you next week!  Get out there and see the world!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear thoughts about the places in this blog. Feel free to converse on what you read. Check out my other locations and enjoy the ride.